Dr. Piotr Bujlo graduated from the Wroclaw University of Technology in 2001 with a Masters degree in Materials Science. He commenced his PhD study, in the same year, at the same university and his scientific career at the Wroclaw Division of the Electrotechnical Institute. His PhD research project focused on the R&D of Polymer Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells (PEMFC); in particular his research focused on material science aspects, cell construction, cell and stack testing as well as on stationary and automotive fuel cell applications. He graduated with his PhD degree from the Wroclaw University of Technology in 2007.
His outstanding work and achievements during his PhD project were recognised by the following awards: honourable mention in the Contest of the Council of the Polish Federation of Engineering Associations for ’Outstanding achievements in the field of technique’, 3rd Prize in the XXIV contest, ‘The best scientific work’ at the Electrotechnical Institute and 1st Prize for ‘The best hydrogen powered vehicle’ in a contest at the Renewable Energy in Theory and Practice – Energy Day held in Cieszyn City – Poland.
Dr. Piotr Bujlo is a member of the scientific advisory boards of the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education, the Ministry of Regional Development and the Polish Agency for Enterprise Development. He also serves as an expert project evaluator at the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education and the National Center for Research and Development in Poland.
His current position of Key Technology Specialist at HySA Systems Competence Centre, located at the University of the Western Cape, concerns project management and realization of R&D work in the field of fuel cells. His project focuses on the development, integration and validation of fuel cell stacks for application in CHP systems, the design and integration of complete CHP systems using HT-PEMFC stacks as well as the validation of systems and individual system components. The project is funded by the South African Department of Science and Technology in the frame of the long-term Hydrogen South Africa (HySA) Programme.
Conferences & Events Attended:
1. P. Bujlo, E.H. Reddy, C. Sita, S. Pasupathi, Operation characteristics of combined heat and power system based on high temperature PEM fuel cell technology, 21st World Hydrogen Energy Conference WHEC 2016, 13-16 June 2016, Zaragoza, Spain.
2. P. Bujlo, C. Sita, S. Pasupathi, HT-PEMFC based combined heat and power system for residential sector application, Fuel Cells Science and Technology FCST 2016, 13-14 April 2016, Glasgow, UK.
3. P. Bujlo, E.U. March, N. Mkruqulwa, S. Pasupathi, B.G. Pollet, Influence of Temperature Related Operation Faults on HT-PEMFC MEA Performance and Durability, European Fuel Cell Forum EFCF 2015, 30 June - 3 July 2015, Lucerne, Switzerland.
4. P. Bujlo, S. Pasupathi, J. Scholta, B.G. Pollet, From Breadboard Testing to Prototype Development Fuel Cell Combined Heat and Power System at HySA Systems Centre of Competence, 1st International Conference on Hydrogen Energy, 20-22 July 2015, Aveiro, Portugal.
5. P. Bujlo, I. Tolj, K. Mouton, M.V. Lototskyy, G. Swart, B.G. Pollet, Overview of HySA Systems' Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Vehicle Prototypes, International Discussion on Hydrogen Energy and Application IDHEA-2014, 12-14 May 2014, Nantes, France.
6. P. Bujlo, PEM Fuel Cell Activities at HySA Systems Competence Centre, European Technical School on Hydrogen and Fuel Cells 2013, 23-27 September 2013, Heraklion, Greece.
7. P. Bujlo, Ø. Ulleberg, J. Scholta, S. Pasupathi, B.G. Pollet, Validation of an externally oil cooled 1 kW HT–PEMFC stack operating at experimental conditions, Fuel Cells 2012 Science & Technology, A Groove Fuel Cell Event, 11-12 April, 2012, Berlin, Germany.
8. P. Bujlo, S. Pasupathi, Ø. Ulleberg, Characterization of a 1kW HTPEMFC stack for integration with metal hydride storage tank into a hydrogen bike, 2nd CARISMA International Conference on Progress MEA Materials for Medium and High Temperature Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells, 19-22 September 2010, Montpellier, France.
9. P. Bujlo, Ø. Ulleberg, R. Mabunda, M. Lototskyy, R. Jianwei, B. Ntsendwana, Fuel Cell System for Light Duty Vehicle – A Hi Fambeni Tricycle, 2nd Annual RETECZA Conference, 11-13 August 2010, Pretoria, South Africa.
10. P. Bujlo, S. Pasupathi, J. Scholta, Ø. Ulleberg, Validation of a HTPEMFC stack for CHP applications, 18th World Hydrogen Energy Conference WHEC 2010, 16-21 May 2010, Essen, Germany.
1. P. Bujlo, C.J. Xie, D. Shen, O. Ulleberg, S. Pasupathi, G. Pasciak, B.G. Pollet, Hybrid Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell-Lithium-Ion Battery Powertrain Testing Platform – Hybrid Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Emulator, International Journal of Energy Research, In Press, Corrected Proof.
2. H.R. Ellamla, P. Bujlo, C. Sita, S. Pasupathi, Comparative analysis on various reformers supplied with different fuels and integrated with high temperature PEM fuel cells, Chemical Engineering Science 154 (2016) 90-99.
3. T.J. Bvumbe, P. Bujlo, I. Tolj, K. Mouton, G. Swart, S. Pasupathi, B.G. Pollet, Review on management, mechanisms and modelling of thermal processes in PEMFC, Hydrogen and Fuel Cells 1 (2016) 1-20
4. H.R. Ellamla, I. Staffell, P. Bujlo, B.G. Pollet, S. Pasupathi, Current status of fuel cell based combined heat and power systems for residential sector, Journal of Power Sources 293 (2015) 312-328.
5. Ch. Xie, X. Xu, P. Bujlo, D. Shen, H. Zhao, S. Quan, Fuel cell and lithium iron phosphate battery hybrid powertrain with an ultracapacitor bank using direct parallel structure, Journal of Power Sources, 279 (2015), 487-494.
6. M. Lototskyy, I. Tolj, M.W. Davids, P. Bujlo, F. Smith, B.G. Pollet, “Distributed hybrid” MH–CGH2 system for hydrogen storage and its supply to LT PEMFC power modules, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 645 (2015) S329-S333.
7. B.G. Pollet, S. Pasupathi, G. Swart, K. Mouton, M. Lototskyy, M. Williams, P. Bujlo, S. Ji, B.J. Bladergroen, V. Linkov, Hydrogen South Africa (HySA) Systems Competence Centre: Mission, objectives, technological achievements and breakthroughs, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 39 (2014) 3577-3596.
8. P. Bujlo, S. Pasupathi, Ø. Ulleberg, J. Scholta, M.V. Nomanqa A. Rabiu, B.G. Pollet, Validation of an Externally Oil-Cooled 1kWel HT-PEMFC Stack Operating at various Experimental Conditions, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 38 (2013) 9847-9855.
9. P. Bujlo, G. Pasciak, J. Chmielowiec, A. Sikora, Experimental Evaluation of Supercapacitor-Fuel Cell Hybrid Power Source for HY-IEL Scooter, Journal of Energy 2013 (2013), Article ID 162457, 5 pages.
10. P. Bujlo, G. Pasciak, J. Chmielowiec, M. Malinowski, Application of polymer exchange membrane fuel cell stack as the primary energy source in commercial uninterruptible power supply unit, Journal of Power Technologies 93 (3) (2013) 154-160.