Dr. Su graduated from South China University of Technology in 2010 with a PhD in Applied Chemistry. During his PhD research, Huaneng Su worked in the development of high performance Membrane Electrode Assemblies (MEAs) with Ultra-Low Platinum loading for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell (PEMFC). After completing his PhD, Dr. Su joined the SAIAMC at UWC as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow to continue his research, acquire broader perspectives and more in-depth insights of PEMFC technology in particular water electrolysers, H2/O2 fuel cells and Unitised Regenerative Fuel Cells (URFCs).
MEA is the key component of PEM cells and Electrolysers. The cost and performance of PEM cells is strongly related to the characteristics of the MEA and its components. His previous R&D work in PEMFC as well as the fabrication and characterization techniques of MEAs has been very beneficial for his current research at HySA Systems Competence Centre.
For his research work, Dr. Su received some Awards: a NRF Innovation Postdoctoral Fellowship (South Africa, 2011), a Guangdong Province Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation (Guangdong, China, 2011), an Innovation Fund for Excellent Doctoral Dissertation (South China University of Technology, 2010), a Best Paper Award (National PhD Candidates Academic Conference, 2010).
1. Huaneng Su, Huagen Liang, Bernard J. Bladergroen, Vladimir Linkov, Bruno G. Pollet, Sivakumar Pasupathi. Effect of Platinum Distribution in Dual Catalyst Layer Structured Gas Diffusion Electrode on the Performance of High Temperature PEMFC. Journal of the Electrochemical Society 2014;161(4):F506-F512.
2. Huaneng Su, Ting-Chu Jao, Sivakumar Pasupathi, Bernard Jan Bladergroen, Vladimir Linkov, Bruno G. Pollet. A novel dual catalyst layer structured gas diffusion electrode for enhanced performance of high temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cell. Journal of Power Sources 2014;246:63-67.
3. Huaneng Su, Sivakumar Pasupathi, Bernard Jan Bladergroen, Vladimir Linkov, Bruno G. Pollet. Enhanced performance of polybenzimidazole-based high temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cell with gas diffusion electrodes prepared by automatic catalyst spraying under irradiation technique. Journal of Power Sources 2013;242:510-519.
4. Huaneng Su, Sivakumar Pasupathi, Bernard Bladergroen, Vladimir Linkov, Bruno G. Pollet. Optimization of gas diffusion electrode for polybenzimidazole-based high temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cell: Evaluation of polymer binders in catalyst layer. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 2013;38(26):11370-11378.
5. Huaneng Su, Sivakumar Pasupathi, Bernard Bladergroen, Vladimir Linkov, Bruno G. Pollet. Performance Investigation of Membrane Electrode Assemblies for High Temperature Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell. Journal of Power and Energy Engineering 2013;1(5):95-100.
6. Huaneng Su, Vladimir Linkov, Bernard Jan Bladergroen. Membrane electrode assemblies with low noble metal loadings for hydrogen production from solid polymer electrolyte water electrolysis. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 2013;38(23):9601-9608.
7. Huaneng Su, Bernard Jan Bladergroen, Sivakumar Pasupathi, Vladimir Linkov, Shan Ji. Performance Investigation of Membrane Electrode Assemblies for Hydrogen Production by Solid Polymer Electrolyte Water Electrolysis. International Journal of Electrochemical Science 2012;7(5):4223-4234.